Career Services

University Life & Services | Leading the Experience

University Life & Services


Employers may encounter login difficulties as part of scheduled BullsEye upgrades on 12/3 and 12/4. Please contact our office if you need immediate assistance, 716-645-2231.

Campus Jobs

Campus jobs are a great opportunity to earn extra money, develop transferrable skills, and test out your career interests. There is a wide range of jobs available on campus for both undergraduate and graduate students; students perform many functions for departments from clerical and reception work, to cooking and serving food, to officiating at sports events, to shelving books, to assisting a professor or graduate student with research. Pay for on-campus jobs generally starts at the current U. S. minimum wage rate of $7.25 per hour. Many student assistants may receive a raise after time, depending on funding availability and performance.

There are several types of on-campus jobs:

How to Find an On-Campus Job

Each department oversees its own hiring process. You may need to complete an application or submit a resume. Once hired, you will typically need to provide documentation for work authorization and will follow steps for filling our tax paperwork, completing timesheet, and receiving paychecks through Human Resources.

Positions are competitive, so it is best to start your search early and try a variety of strategies to identify openings!

  • Login to BullsEye and click on the "Jobs/Internships" tab to start your search for on-campus jobs. View the "Part Time on UB Campus" and "Work Study on UB Campus" categories.
  • Identify places on campus that interest you and approach them directly. View a directory of University offices External Site Link Icon to get started.
  • Cast a wider net! Consider academic departments, student services offices, shops and eateries or any place where business is conducted.
  • Attend Career Services Part-Time and On-Campus Job Fairs in the fall and Summer Jobs Fair in the spring. Check our events calendar for upcoming dates.
  • Network. Talk to friends who have on-campus jobs and find out how they found their positions.
  • Keep an eye out for fliers, bulletin boards and other "word-of-mouth" advertising means.
  • Check out the "Help Wanted" section of The Spectrum External Site Link Icon , UB's student newspaper that comes out each Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the academic year.

Major On-Campus Employers

On-Campus Jobs for Graduate Students: GA, TA, and RA Positions

Graduate students may apply for student assistant positions and work study positions, depending on financial aid eligibility. There are also three types of assistantships available: Graduate Assistantships (GAs), Teaching Assistantships (TAs) and Research Assistantships (RAs). GA positions are open to all graduate students university-wide and are highly competitive. You should apply for them as soon as possible. Typically, offices begin looking to fill vacant GA positions for an academic year toward the end of the preceding spring semester. It is highly beneficial to go out and actively seek a position early on in the process even if you have not heard that an office may have an opening.

  • TAs and RAs are usually awarded by individual faculty members. TAs and RAs are typically given to students in that particular department. Graduate students who are looking for a TA or RA position should go to their department first.
  • GAs are typically administrative positions and may be awarded to students from a variety of departments. View a directory of UB departments External Site Link Icon .
  • These positions can be for one semester, an academic year (10 months) or a full 12 months. They are renewable at the discretion of the department and availability of funding. Some departments limit the number of years a student may hold an assistantship.
  • Most Graduate Assistantships require that you work 20 hours per week.
  • GAs, TAs, and RAs receive a cash stipend, which varies according to department. They may also receive a full or partial tuition waiver that does not cover fees, insurance or room and board.

On-Campus Jobs for International Students

Important Note for International Students: When conducting your job search, you must avoid/ignore jobs labeled "Work Study". These jobs are actually a form of US government financial aid, available only to US Citizens and Permanent Residents. International students are NOT eligible for Work Study jobs. International students are not permitted to work off-campus without special work authorization from ISSS and USCIS.

  • UB and U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations permit international students to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during summer, winter and spring breaks.
  • All departments are required by USCIS regulations to verify your authorization to work in the United States. In order to verify your eligibility for work in the U.S., you will need to fill out an I-9 form and present additional documentation. Some examples are: Social Security card and driver's license, valid foreign passport and I-20, etc.
  • Do not delay bringing your documents to your employer; you are not allowed to begin working until this requirement is satisfied!
  • If you need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN), contact International Student and Scholar Services External Site Link Icon , 210 Talbert Hall, 645-2258.
  • Once hired, you will need to fill out New York State (IT-2104) and Federal Tax forms (W-4 forms) to determine how much tax will be taken from your paycheck.
  • You may also need to complete an Oath of Office form, depending on your position. This form asks you to take an oath to uphold the laws of the State of New York and the University at Buffalo.

Work Study

The Federal Work-Study Program allows students to work on campus and in certain community organizations and to earn compensation from the federal government for that service. Students must qualify for work study by demonstrating financial aid. Work study eligibility is reassessed each year and as a result, may change year to year.

If awarded financial aid indicating work study eligibility, students will receive an award letter indicating a total work study grant amount. Students are then responsible for identifying and securing their own work study positions on campus.

Ways to Identify Work Study Positions

  • Login to BullsEye and search the "Work Study on UB Campus" category for open positions. (Note: New work study jobs for the fall semester are typically posted starting in mid-August.)
  • Inquire directly with campus departments about work study opportunities. View a campus directory External Site Link Icon .

Additional Work Study Resources

Sample of on-campus job openings (includes part-time & work study). Review position details for eligibility requirements.

Career Services | 259 Capen Hall | University at Buffalo | Buffalo, NY 14260-1635 | Tel: (716) 645-2231 | Fax: (716) 645-3829 | Director: Arlene Kaukus | E-Mail Us | Legal
Facebook Logo Twitter Logo Pinterest Logo