Part-time and summer jobs are a great way to earn extra money, build employment references, gain work experience, and, perhaps most of all, learn more about yourself and careers. While you may be tempted to take the first job that offers you a little cash, you might want to consider trying to find positions that will allow you to explore career fields that interest you and experience different work environments. Even a job that is not related to your career goals, however, demonstrates your initiative and dependability, and begins to establish your work record.
Job Search Strategies
- Login to BullsEye and click on the "Jobs/Internships" tab to start your search.
- Job/Internship Search Engines – View a list by industry or specialty area.
- Identify employers that interest you and approach them directly.
- Use CareerSearch, a database that includes more than one million companies, to generate a list of employers to target.
- Consider places that tend to hire student such as retailers, restaurants, service industry organizations, or any place that conducts business.
- Cast a wider net! Think about your career interests and whether there could be an opportunity for you to gain experience in a professional setting.
- On-Campus Interviews – Participate in this program where employers visit campus to recruit UB students.
- Career Fairs and Events - Visit on-campus job and internship fairs organized by Career Services throughout the year:
- On-Campus/Part-Time Job Fair (each August)
- CareerFEST (each February or March)
- Summer Jobs Fair (each March)
- Check our events calendar for other specialty programs and events.
- Networking - Talk to friends who have part-time jobs and find out how they found their positions.
- Keep an eye out for fliers, bulletin boards and other "word-of-mouth" advertising means.
- Check the "Help Wanted" section of your local newspaper.
Summer, Seasonal, and Part-Time Job Search Resources
- American Camping Association of New England - day and overnight camp jobs
- American Hiking Society – environmental and conservation openings
- Back Door Jobs – short-term job adventures
- CampStaff.com – summer camp opportunities
- Care.com - Local caregiving jobs.
- Cool Works - 75,000 jobs in parks, resorts, ranches, water locations and more
- FunJobs.com – hospitality, retail, lodging and parks jobs
- MySummerCamps.com - Summer camp directory
- Seasonal Employment - lists summer and holiday openings
- SnagAJob.com – part-time positions in a variety of settings